Sunday, May 22, 2016

#421 #Mighty Ruthie

Last Wednesday I saw a private premier of ESPN Film’s SEC Storied series, “Mighty Ruthie.”  It is the courageous story of my friend and teammate Ruthie Bolton.  She was a star in college, is a two time Olympic gold medalist and starred in the WNBA.  She still plays and is still a “beast” (for her, the gun show is always open).  She is also a victim of domestic abuse. 

I am grateful that the Auburn University athletics department put on this premiere.  It was a truly special night and I am grateful that I was able to attend with my teammates, coaches and fans.  Not to mention many of Ruthie’s family (she is one of 20 children). 

I encourage all who are able to watch this at 9 p.m. Eastern, May 22 on SEC Network. It will also air at 9 p.m. Eastern May 24 on ESPN2 and 8 p.m. Eastern May 30 on ESPN. 

Ruthie is a year ahead of me and I played with her for three seasons.  I am so proud of her for sharing her story.  I know it was not easy for her to do this but her hope is that it helps others. 

During the Q&A after the film one of the Auburn women’s basketball fans stood up and talked about how they loved to see us come back, they loved to watch us on the court, they put us up on pedestals (so to speak) but in actuality they don’t know us.  They think they know us, but they don’t really know us.  That goes for all of us.  We as Ruthie’s teammates had no idea any of this had happened.  Her family didn’t know for a long time.  None of truly knows what is going on with our friends and loved ones.  All we can do is be there in any circumstance, good or bad. 

After watching this powerful film one of Ruthie’s last statements was equally powerful.  She talked of forgiveness.  Forgiving others and herself.  I struggle with that sometimes.  Thanks to Ruthie I plan to work on that.  If she can forgive after what she’s gone through, I can most certainly do it myself. 


We love you Mighty Ruthie!  

No comments:

Post a Comment