Wednesday, December 2, 2015

#409 Comedic/Musical Geniuses

In one weekend I saw two (well, possibly three) geniuses.  The first was Ronnie Milsap.  I first saw him in 2007 as the second opener for George Strait (the first opener?  Taylor Swift.).  My friend Kelly went with me and she would always say “He’s a musical genius” when talking about Ronnie. 

I heard he was on his farewell tour and just had to see him one more time.  He didn’t disappoint.  There is not enough time for him to sing all of his hits, so he did a lot of medleys, but was a really good show.  He told a story about attending a school for the blind as a child.  He received music lessons for 12 years at that school and he loved music so much he told his counselor he wanted to be a professional musician.  His counselor told him he couldn’t do that and tried to steer him to other professions. 

Not long after he attended a Ray Charles concert.  He was able to meet Ray backstage and told him he was a huge fan, and that he, too, wanted to be a professional musician, but everyone told him he couldn’t.  Ray asked him to play for him.  After Ronnie finished, Ray asked him, “Do you love it?”  Ronnie answered, “I do!”  and Ray told him to follow his dream.  And he certainly did! 


The next night I saw Martin Short and Steve Martin.  My brother and sister-in-law had already bought tickets so I bought a single ticket in the balcony.  (Not much leg room in the first row of the second section!)  It was an incredible show


A little friendly banter

Stepbrother of Jesus

Pretty Little One
  
I do like Steve Martin and think he is very talented, but I am mainly smitten with Martin Short.  I first saw him on Saturday Night Live as Ed Grimley.  I loved him so much then that I dressed as Ed Grimley for Halloween in college.  How many 19 year-old young women would do that?  I walked around with a wire hanger as a triangle and no one knew who I was.  So sad!  

Yes, the girl on my left is dressed like a box of tampons.  

One of my all-time favorite SNL skits is Martin and Harry Shearer as synchronized swimmers.  That is just pure genius.  Martin has seemingly not aged in all these years.  Ok, I was sitting in the balcony so I couldn’t see the wrinkles, but he bounced around with the energy of a 25 year-old with his typical knock-kneed dances. 


Two of my favorite geniuses in two nights.  I wouldn’t have missed it for the world, I must say!

No comments:

Post a Comment