Friday, July 17, 2015

#403 Four Concerts. Eleven Days.

As you may know from reading my blog, I love music and particularly enjoy live music.  Summer brings the requisite musical artists to town, and I usually attend a few concerts during the entire summer.  This past stretch of 11 days broke a record for me - I attended four concerts.  How did this happen? 

Sunday, July 5 – John Fogerty with my Kenny Aronoff
See Post No. 402.
I bought this ticket three weeks before the concert right after I saw the BoDeans. 

Wednesday, July 8 – Mat Kearney (Judah and the Lion)
I bought this ticket the week before the show.  I like his sound a lot and thought it would be a fun, semi-cheap show.  A friend from high school went with me.  He played at the Vogue, which is one of my favorite venues.  Judah and the Lion opened for him and I really took a liking to them too.  They have a unique sound that is described as bluegrass rock.  They are Twenty-Somethings from Nashville, Tennessee (from Belmont University).  After the show I found out they made their first appearance on Letterman in February.  And while flipping channels over the weekend I heard their song “Kickin’ da Leaves” on a Nature Valley Granola commercial.  They are playing in Indy again this weekend at Carmel’s Art of Wine

Monday, July 13 – Shania Twain (Gavin DeGraw)
I scored two free tickets to this show the day after Mat Kearney.  I was a quick responder at work.  Yes!  Megan went with me.  I’ve seen Gavin DeGraw several times (my first time he opened for Sister Hazel at the Vogue) so that was a bonus.  I couldn’t resist free tickets and this is supposedly Shania’s last tour.  Good show. 

Wednesday, July 15 – James Taylor
I got this ticket several months ago.  My friend Kathy loves him too and we’ve seen him together eight times.  The first time in 1997 (See Post No. 162), Kathy sat with her mom and I took a date.  But technically we were both there so it counts as “together”.  J  He was classic James.  A laid-back night with perfect weather.  The only imperfection is when we sat down and saw a camera right in out sight line.  What??  They actually sell seats with a camera sitting in front of them?  Luckily his performance stool was just to the left of the camera and I could see him ok, but the stage was split into halves.  Plus Kathy’s view was altered even more by the large man in front of her who wore a hat with a brim.  He finally did take it off.  At intermission we moved down several rows to the right.  We were right behind the sound board area and no one was in front of us.  Back to perfect! 

After my two-week musical extravaganza, I’m ready for some rest.  I love music so much and find it hard to say no to a great show.  Especially when tickets are free!  (For the record – I did turn down Train tickets for July 12.)  I do like to have a balance of some “off” days and just chill at home, but it’s so hard in the summer! 


The next concert I see on my schedule is in November.  I hope to get some rest in the meantime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment