Tuesday, June 23, 2015

#400 The Bigger They Are...

How do I begin?  I’ll just come right out and say it:  I fell at work.  Around 4:30 p.m. a few months ago I was walking out of my cube holding three lightweight boxes, stumbled on some other boxes on the floor, and promptly fell over onto my left side. 

The pre-fall seemed to be in slow motion.  I thought I could catch myself and then WHAM.  I was down.  Hard.  I have no idea where the boxes I was holding went (after they bruised my left forearm), but I hit the ground and people down the hall came quickly. 

I was wearing a dress but don’t think I flashed anyone.  One of my shoes did come off.  I righted myself and put my shoe back on, then adjusted my glasses.  As a new glasses wearer, I must say that wearing glasses makes falling that much worse.  Not only are you embarrassed about falling, but your glasses become askew and you look ridiculous.  I’m thankful I didn’t break them!

I’m also thankful I didn’t break myself.  Now I know how people break a hip.  Along with my scraped left inner arm, the side of my left knee blew up like a golf ball and my left hip was sore.  A few days later I had a pretty blue, green and orange bruise on it.  It was so colorful I kept showing people to see them gasp.  I showed one of my tennis friends at practice and her response was, “Oh sweet Jesus!” 

I had a bike trip planned that weekend.  Luckily it didn’t affect my riding (stay tuned for a future post about that ride).  When I told one of my friends I had fallen at work he asked, “Did you yell timber on the way down?”  Which made me wonder, if a tall girl falls at work and no one is around to hear her, does she make a sound?  Yes, she does.  

No comments:

Post a Comment