Thursday, January 30, 2014

#365 Addicted To...Lip Balm

I might as well face it, I’m addicted to lip balm. 

After watching an episode of Dr. Oz last year, I realized I am addicted to lip balm.  He asked three questions:
  1. Do you apply lip balm more than three times per day?
  2. Do you have more than one lip balm in your purse, and keep lip balm in multiple places?
  3. After a kiss, is the first thing you think about putting on lip balm?
Answering “yes” to two or more of these questions is a good indicator that you have been addicted to lip balm.  I do apply lip balm 3+ times a day.  I have lip balm in my purse, in my desk drawer at work, in my makeup bag I take to the gym and in my medicine cabinet at home.  And if I remember correctly (it’s been a while) I do want to put lip balm on after kissing. 

Lips lose moisture about ten times more than any other part of the body.  They constantly shed cells throughout the day, revealing a new layer beneath much faster than other skin is shed.  The problem with most lip balms is that they prevent your lips from shedding these cells.  Dr. Oz compares your lips to a croissant.  The balm makes the top layer of your lips become hard and prevents the layers from flaking off.  And the ingredients of most lip balms contain ingredients that cause your lips to dry out more than usual.  A vicious circle! 

Dr. Oz recommends the following three natural lip balms:  shea butter, lanolin and coconut oil.  Avoid anything with menthol and propanol (both alcohols), and salicylic acid.  Click HERE to see a clip from this show.  

I began my cold-turkey, lip-balm ban yesterday evening.  I was driving home and my lips felt dry.  My purse was in the trunk.  Then I thought about trying to quit again.  Yes, again.  After I saw the Dr. Oz show last year I tried to quit for half a day.  Once night time came and I couldn’t sleep with dry lips, I caved.  This time I am being more industrious.  I am using lotion and baby oil.  I am also going to try finding coconut oil (Dr. Oz’s favorite solution).  Today my lips don’t feel as dry as they did last night, so I do see a slight change. 

I will let you know how things go…

No comments:

Post a Comment