Tuesday, September 24, 2013

#358 Aloha Judy

I happened to see a friend at the gym today.  She played at a local high school and was a senior when I was a sophomore.  We run into each other now and then.  I don't remember how it came up (I don't remember much these days) but she said that she had been a women's basketball graduate assistant for one year at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.  Then she mentioned a former Hawaii player that had recently died, Judy Mosley

Judy fought breast cancer for three years and died at age 45. She leaves behind a husband, who my friend (also named Judy) said is devastated, and four children age six to around 13 (?) 

My memory has been going downhill lately, but I do remember Judy.  Tall and lanky, like me, she was my teammate on the 1991 World University Games team.  She was really nice and had a great smile.  And she had really long arms that could grab lots of rebounds (it's funny the things you do remember).  She was one who stuck out as being a really good player, a hard worker and a really nice person. 

I have had many teammates on various teams over the years.  I hear about some of them now and then.  I do keep in touch with others.  It's a big world and we all get busy.  Maybe I will get busy and try and track some of them down. 

Ke Akua pu a hui hou, my friend. 




No comments:

Post a Comment