Tuesday, November 6, 2012

#313 Brian Cramp

My blog title is not a typo.  Let me give some background information:  my college basketball coach used to yell at us when we'd make a mistake in practice and would say, "Whatya got, a brain cramp?"  From then on I would jokingly say I had a brain cramp whenever I'd do something stupid. 

Fast forward to earlier this year when I attended the KISS concert.  (See Post No. 307)  Heidi, Nicole and I were hanging out in the VIP room and I noticed a very tall guy who looked familiar.  I knew he played basketball but couldn't put my finger on where.  After a while I settled on Brian Cardinal, a 6'8" center who played at Purdue from 1995 to 1997. 

I tried to Google him on my phone to see a picture, but didn't get very good service.  Later in the evening I heard another guy in the room yell, "Hey Brian!" so I felt that was the confirmation I needed to go talk to him.  He was married, but thought it would be cool to rub elbows with a Purdue person.  And he was with some other tall guys.  I approached him, introduced myself, and told him my brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew all went to Purdue.  He was with some friends so they talked to me a  bit, and then I went back to Heidi and Nicole. 

After I got home I had a nagging feeling to try to look up his photo again.  This time it worked and...that doesn't look like the Brian I saw.  The wheels in my brain started whirring and it hit me.  That wasn't Brian Cardinal.  That was Brian Evans.  Who played at Indiana.  Holy crap!  Even though I was alone in the comfort of my own home, I was mortified.  I'm a basketball player for Pete's sake!  I should know my basketball players!

I told this story to Heidi the next day, but swore I would never tell this story to anyone else.  But it's too funny not to share!  My brother and sister-in-law will especially love this.  I will probably never hear the end of it.  Oh well. I did have a huge Brian cramp!! 

1 comment: