Thursday, June 28, 2012

#291 Fore-get It!

This week I participated in two golf outings in three days.  I am not a golfer.  Monday I went to a golf outing in Michigan for work.  My foursome included a co-worker, a work colleague and a college golf coach.  I rode with the golf coach and broke the news to him that I didn't golf.  Everyone was super nice and patient with me, and I was pleasantly surprised that I actually hit the ball fairly decent.  I had some whifs here and there, but had some great shots off the tee and some good puts.  It was a beautiful day and a beautiful course.  The foursome was fun too.  Overall a really great day. 

Fast forward to Wednesday, where I golfed in Kokomo for a fundraiser.  This time I was paired with the wife of the course pro (who plays about twice a week), and a mother/daughter (the mom lives in the golf course community and golfs every day; the daughter played college golf).  Again, I told them I didn't golf, but that I just played Monday and did pretty well.  (Why did I do that???!!)  I proceeded to stink up the course.  I sucked.  It was horrible.  If I would have played this way Monday I would have chalked it up to not being a golfer.  But after one good day I (mistakenly) thought I would have another good day.  Apparently this is not how golf works.  I still had a great day and had fun.  The best shot of the day?  At one point we were off to the side about 40 yards from the green.  Everyone agreed we had enough room to hit.  I hit the ball and instead of it going straight, the ball shot out to the side, ricocheted off a bench about 20 feet away and then hit a tree behind us (among other things).  The pro’s wife said, “I’ve never seen anyone do that before.”    

Needless to say, I won't be golfing again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment