Monday, December 19, 2011

#240 Luminary Ride

Each Sunday before Christmas, some Irvinington residents put out luminaries along their driveways and streets. It's a beautiful sight! In the past I've either walked or driven through the neighborhood to look at them and all of the Christmas lights.

This year I decided to do the CIBA Luminary Ride. At 5:30 approximately 50-75 people took off from Broad Ripple and rode along the Monon Trail to the far east side. Going out was fun - there were a lot of other riders and cars were nice to let us all go through intersections. However, once we got to Irvington, the group splintered due to traffic, etc. We made it to Audubon to see Santa and there were only about 10-15 people. My friend and I decided to ride to Julie's house to say hi and use the toilet. By then it was around 7 p.m. and we still had to ride back to Broad Ripple. And we were by ourselves. I was a bit nervous about riding on the Monon with just the two of us, even though my friend was a guy. We decided to go on and after he fell after hitting a hole covered in water (I hit it first but popped right out and then yelled too late), we made our way down Michigan. We saw flashing bike lights in the distance so sped up and finally caught them just past Tech High School. There were five of them so rode behind all the way back. I made it to my car just after 8 p.m.

Overall it was fun. A little cold, but I was actually fairly comfortable the entire way. I was disappointed that my hands were cold - I just bought new cold-weather bike gloves. I put toe warmers in my shoes and that helped a lot. If I did it again, I would have someone drop me and my bike off at Broad Ripple and then ride one way. One way is enough and that would leave me more time to actually ride around and look at the lights.

After I got back to my car, I cranked up the heat. Back at home, I kept my bike clothes on and ate a late supper. Then I sat on the sofa with my blanket covering me and watched an hour of Geek Love on TLC. Was a funny way to end the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment