Thursday, September 22, 2011

#220 My Life In France

I did live in France (Aix-en-Provence), but for only a couple months. However, I just finished reading “My Life In France” by Julia Child. Cest magnifique! I have a small fascination with Julia Child and France, and Julia played a small part in me starting this blog (see Post No. 1). One line in the book really stood out: “The sweetness and generosity and politeness and gentleness and humanity of the French had shown me now lovely life can be if one takes time to be friendly.” After one year in France Julia had learned to speak French, but was not yet fluent. She had heard others complain about the French being a bit stand-offish. However, she made an effort to speak the language and wanted to learn French cooking. In my short time in France I found the same to be true – I made an effort to learn French and believe that I was friendly to them, so they were friendly back. Vive la France! I also believe this sentence carries over to wherever you may be at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment