Sunday, May 16, 2010

#75 Live From New York...It's Saturday Night!

May 15 marked the season finale of Saturday Night Live. It premiered in October 1975. I started watching regularly in college (around 1986) and now tape it every week. Even though its had its ups and downs over the years, I have been a faithful follower. There's a small part of me that wishes I'd tried to do something like that career-wise. Gone to Chicago to Second City and eventually to SNL. I think I have the wit and spontaneity. I don't know about creating characters though. Maybe I could've learned how to do that. After college and my short basketball career I had no idea what I wanted to do and that would've been the perfect time. No house. No job with benefits. The only thing was that at age 28, I didn't have the confidence. And honestly, it didn't even occur to me to try it.

Even though I think about this now and then, I have no regrets in how my life has turned out so far. I have a wonderful family and have enjoyed being around to watch Aaron and Megan grow up. I have awesome friends ("old" and new) that I've shared fun times with. I believe that God has led me to be exactly where I am. And I have my own captive audience at work who reaps the benefits (if I may be so bold to call it that!) of my twisted humor. I have re-created many an SNL character at work Halloween contests!

I took a tour once of 30 Rockefeller Center, stopping briefly to bow in front of Molly Shannon's dressing room door. I also stood in line for hours to get a ticket to stand in line again for many more hours to get in to see a dress rehearsal of SNL. I was about three people away from getting in. Agh! One day I WILL make it to a show, whether I'm on it or not. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment