Tuesday, October 27, 2009

#5 Tall Tips - Pants

After Saturay's Hilly ride, I stopped in Edinburgh at the outlet mall. Among some other items, I found a pair of wool pants at J Crew that were on sale and had cuffs. Which brings me to one of my best clothes-buying tips - look for cuffed pants!

Whenever I run into another tall female one of the first questions they usually ask is, "Where do you buy your clothes?" I have a 36-inch inseam and it's a rarity that I can walk into a store and buy pants off the rack. Once, while visiting a 6'3" girlfriend in Ft. Lauderdale, I found TWO pair of extra tall jeans on a sale rack at the Gap. I bought them both and gave one to my friend!

So back to my tips. First, I scan the pant bottoms looking for any that hang to the floor. Next, I look for cuffs that I can let out. Voila - super long pants! This trick is best done with dress pants, as jeans will leave a mark along the hemline. However, I did do it once to a pair of dark jeans and colored in the line with a black marker.

Stores that carry extra long pants (mostly online): Banana Republic, Eddie Bauer, Gap, J Crew and The Buckle.

1 comment: