Sunday, October 25, 2009

#4 Hilly Hundred Weekend

October 24 & 25 I participated in the 42nd annual Hilly Hundred.



The Hilly is put on by the Central Indiana Bicycling Association (CIBA) and is one of the country's best weekend rides. It's based in Ellettsville, Indiana (near Bloomington) and consists of 50-mile routes Saturday and Sunday through very hilly southern Indiana. It's one of the most challenging rides I've done, but it's also one of the most fun. The ride is limited to 5,000 riders. Riders pin fanny flags to the backs of their bike bags (or themselves) so you can see where they're from. I saw a few from California, one from Germany and another from England.

I have done this ride about 12 times (I've lost track!) and have ridden with friends, my brother and even by myself. This year I rode with my CIBA bike buddy Steve. Saturday began dreary and drizzly. The sun came out by lunch and it turned out to be a pretty nice day. Sunday was even better - sunny skies and a high temp of 62 degrees. We made it up every hill - even the killer "Mt. Tabor" which is a 20% incline. To ease the pain between hills, we enjoyed the fall foliage, which seemed to be at its peak. We also enjoyed the rest stops (3 per day) which included food and entertainment.

After Saturday's ride Steve and I hit the sale tent. Each year there is a huge tent full of bike vendors with a lot of great deals. Matthews Bicycles always has a 50% off everything sale. I also like BicycleEverything - it's an online store based in Brownsburg (http://www.bicycleeverything.com/). There's a hot guy who works there who's my height. Last year when I was perusing the merchandise he seemed a bit awed by my height and started talking to me. I rode with Steve last year also, and since he's 6'4" people probably think we're a couple. I took a chance and, after leaving Steve outside, went back, gave "hot bike guy" my business card and told him, "I'm not with that guy." What happened? Never heard from him. So this year I went back to the place, kept my head up, smiled at him, and bought a pair of wool socks and some gloves. I was a tiny bit embarrassed, but I needed them and I got a great deal!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda, great blog I completed the n9eso blog follower of tall chick in case you wonder who that is?
    Glad you had a good weekend. I did also was of course very tired at the end of each day, but it was a satisfied tired.

    Nice photo's on your profile pages also. To bad I'm had etc hahaha!

    ReplyDelete